2. The removal of assets from a retirement account. The assets are then paid to the retirement account owner or beneficiary.
3. A company's payment of cash, stock or physical products to its shareholders.
4. Distributions of income and capital gains that mutual funds make to their investors periodically during a calendar year.
1. A market that is in distribution has already hit its apex and is expected to decline.
2. The retirement account owner (or beneficiary) may be required to pay income tax on distributions received during the year. Early-distribution penalties may also apply if the distribution occurs while the retirement account owner is under the age of 59.5. While distributions from IRAs can occur at any time, certain requirements must be met before distributions can occur from qualified plans, 457 plans and 403(b) accounts. Participants must check with their employers regarding the rules of the plan.
3. The income that is generated from an investment trust is given to investors through monthly or quarterly distributions. In this manner, distributions are similar to stock dividends; however, they usually offer much higher yields of up to 10% a year. The distributions received reduce a trust's taxable income and, therefore, little or no income tax is paid.
4. Mutual funds pay out interest and dividend income received from their portfolio holdings as dividends (income distribution) to fund shareholders. In addition, capital gains from the portfolio's trading activities are generally paid out (capital gains distribution) at the end of the year.
Investment dictionary. Academic. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
distribution — [ distribysjɔ̃ ] n. f. • XIVe; lat. distributio ♦ Action de distribuer; son résultat. ⇒ partage, répartition. 1 ♦ Répartition à des personnes. Distribution de vivres, de médicaments. Distribution de prospectus, d objets publicitaires. ⇒ diffusion … Encyclopédie Universelle
distribution — dis·tri·bu·tion /ˌdis trə byü shən/ n 1: the act or process of distributing: as a: the apportionment by a court of the property and esp. personal property of an intestate among those entitled to it according to statute compare descent, devise … Law dictionary
distribution — DISTRIBUTION. s. f. L action de distribuer, ou l effet de cette action. Distribution du butin, Faire la distribution des procès. Distribution de deniers. Distribution des prix, Faire un état de distribution. f♛/b] On appelle en termes de Pratique … Dictionnaire de l'Académie Française 1798
distribution — Distribution. s. f. v. L action de distribuer. Distribution du butin. faire la distribution des procez. distribution de deniers. distribution des prix. faire un estat de distribution. On appelle en termes de pratique, Ordre de distribution, Le… … Dictionnaire de l'Académie française
Distribution — Dis tri*bu tion, n. [L. distributio: cf. F. distribution.] 1. The act of distributing or dispensing; the act of dividing or apportioning among several or many; apportionment; as, the distribution of an estate among heirs or children. [1913… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Distribution — Sf Verteilung per. Wortschatz fach. (16. Jh.) Entlehnung. Entlehnt aus l. distribūtio, zu l. distribuere, zu tribuere zuteilen und l. dis , zu l. tribus Bezirk . Ebenso nndl. distributie, ne. distribution, nfrz. distribution, nschw.… … Etymologisches Wörterbuch der deutschen sprache
distribution — (n.) mid 14c., from O.Fr. distribution (13c.) and directly from L. distributionem (nom. distributio) a division, distribution, noun of action from pp. stem of distribuere deal out in portions, from dis individually + tribuere assign, allot (see… … Etymology dictionary
distribution — Distribution, Assignatio, Distributio. La distribution des proces, Sortitio causarum, B. Faire les distributions des proces, Causas describere in classes atque in singulos inspectores, quod et Conscribere dicitur, B. Distributions qu on donne aux … Thresor de la langue françoyse
distribution — Payments in a bankruptcy case, generally made after confirmation of a plan in a Chapter 11 filing or approval of the trustee s accounting in a Chapter 7 filing. (Bernstein s Dictionary of Bankruptcy Terminology) United Glossary of Bankruptcy… … Glossary of Bankruptcy
distribution — [n1] allocation, dispersion administration, alloting, allotment, apportioning, apportionment, assessment, assigning, circulating, circulation, dealing, delivery, diffusion, dispensation, dispersal, disposal, disposing, dissemination, dissipating … New thesaurus
Distribution — (vom latein. distribuere, distribuiren, vertheilen), jede Art von Vertheilung, Aus und Eintheilung … Herders Conversations-Lexikon